We are delighted to announce that the charity partner for this year’s Buccleuch Property Challenge is Projekt 42, an Edinburgh-based social enterprise aimed at tackling poor mental health through an innovative programme of health and wellbeing services. Currently based in a temporary location in New Kirkgate, Leith, the community gym and wellbeing centre offers fitness classes, mindfulness activities, life coaching and counselling, nutrition workshops and more, designed to be accessible for all.
The community facility was devised by charity founder, Sara Hawkins, after she was inspired by her own mental health journey. In 2012, she was diagnosed with PTSD, and unable to access the necessary support quickly, her condition spiralled and she became unable to work or participate in everyday activities. After months of being withdrawn, Sara was gifted a gym membership, and following several failed attempts to even get through the door, she started attending regularly and saw a dramatic improvement in her mental wellbeing.
Buccleuch Property was approached by Sara in December 2016 to see if we could help deliver her vision of creating a new purpose built facility on a site she had secured on Halmyre Street in Leith. Since then we have put together a pro-bono task force of local building experts, engineers and architects offering advice and assistance.
We are delighted to be able to support Projekt 42 further through fundraising efforts at our annual Challenge. We are inspired by Sara and her team’s determination to provide such a vital service to their community and the importance of discussing mental health.
How To Donate
We are aiming to raise £10,000 and would very much appreciate your support in this. You can do this in the following ways:
- Donate directly via our Virgin Money page
- Set up your own team page
- Donate a prize to our raffle or auction by getting in touch with Joanna at email@example.com
What your donation will do
From £6.50 for a new yoga block, £12.99 for boxing gloves and £15 for a yoga mat, through to £120 for a new step box and £250 for a barbell set, every penny donated will help Projekt 42 improve its facilities for existing and future users:
- £20 would pay for someone to receive one hour of one-to-one life coaching, or person-centred counselling
- £25 is the equivalent of a monthly membership, allowing someone to access up to 67 hours of fitness, yoga and meditation. With one membership gifted for every paid-for membership, you’ll be helping two people in need
- It’s not just adults who benefit from Projekt 42, a donation of £35 will enable the charity to deliver a 1.5-hour family mindfulness and yoga workshop for adults and children
- £65 would pay for a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy counsellor to lead a two-hour workshop on positive behavioural patterns and how to overcome negative thinking
- Feeling generous? A donation of £270 would pay for someone in need to access over 3,000 hours of fitness, yoga and meditation a year
Connect with us